Wodonga Council received National Stronger Regions funding in 2015 for the City Heart Infrastructure Project.
The works include the following stages.
- Havelock St extension
- Richardson Park and The Promenade at Junction Place in partnership with Places Victoria
- Completion of South St between High and Smythe streets, including landscaping
- Completion of works in High St, including accessibility and landscaping (Water Tower to Sesame Lane and Bond St to South St)
Timeline of upcoming works
- Works will begin in the northern end of High and South streets in September 2017.
- The works will include the reconstruction of High St from Bond St to South St which will upgrade underground services in the area.
- A roundabout will be constructed at the intersection of South and Church streets to address safety concerns and traffic flow through this area and is in line with feedback from the community in 2015.
- The final design will see South St remain single lane in both directions with the centre median parking to remain in South St between Smythe and Church streets.
- The works will also include landscaping, beautification and new street lighting, the undergrounding of overhead cables and reconstruction of Bond St.
- Works will begin at the southern end of High St to Lawrence St in September 2018.
- These works will improve drainage, replacing stormwater and water mains in the area and improve the intersection at High and Stanley streets.
- The final result will see parking spaces will remain at similar numbers while trees will be replaced with advanced species. A shared zone is not being implemented at this time with the section to include wombat crossings.
- The aim of all the works to improve the shopping experience for our residents and visitors with a city heart that features all-abilities access.
Download the information kit for more information